Coordinate changes to computer databases, test and implement the database applying knowledge of database management systems. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
|Sample of Occupations in this SOC Family
15-1061.00 Database Administrators
15-1011.00 Computer and Information Scientists, Research
15-1021.00 Computer Programmers
15-1031.00 Computer Software Engineers, Applications
15-1032.00 Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software
15-1041.00 Computer Support Specialists
15-1051.00 Computer Systems Analysts
15-1071.00 Network and Computer Systems Administrators
15-1071.01 Computer Security Specialists
15-1081.00 Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
15-1099.01 Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
15-1099.02 Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
15-1099.03 Network Designers
15-1099.04 Web Developers
15-1099.05 Web Administrators
15-1099.99 Computer Specialists, All Other
|DOT Titles Included in this O*NET-SOC Code
- Data Base Administrator
- Data Base Design Analyst
- Information Scientist
- Develop standards and guidelines to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Test programs or databases, correct errors and make necessary modifications.
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to computer systems such as the installation of new databases.
- Train users and answer questions.
- Establish and calculate optimum values for database parameters, using manuals and calculator.
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Develop data model describing data elements and how they are used, following procedures and using pen, template or computer software.
- Develop methods for integrating different products so they work properly together such as customizing commercial databases to fit specific needs.
- Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time and cost required to accomplish project.
- Review procedures in database management system manuals for making changes to database.
- Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Select and enter codes to monitor database performance and to create production database.
- Identify and evaluate industry trends in database systems to serve as a source of information and advice for upper management.
- Write and code logical and physical database descriptions and specify identifiers of database to management system or direct others in coding descriptions.
- Review workflow charts developed by programmer analyst to understand tasks computer will perform, such as updating records.
- Revise company definition of data as defined in data dictionary.
Detailed Work Activities
- revise or correct errors in computer programs, software, or systems
- maintain or repair computers or related equipment
- use spreadsheet software
- operate computer networks
- plan computer security measures
- develop or maintain budgeting databases
- develop management control systems
- write administrative procedures services manual
- monitor computer operation
- maintain client-server database
- use mathematical or statistical methods to identify or analyze problems
- use computer application flow charts
- estimate time needed for project
- use project management techniques
- use geographical information system (GIS) software
- develop records management system
- develop or maintain databases
- test computer programs or systems
- install computer programs
- implement computer system changes
- write documentation for computer programming
- install security measures
- develop mathematical simulation models
- develop computer performance standards
- install hardware, software, or peripheral equipment
- use interpersonal communication techniques
- develop tables depicting data
- analyze programs using workflow chart or diagram
- use knowledge of mainframe computers
- work as a team member
- use computers to enter, access or retrieve data
- program mainframe computer
- evaluate computer system user requests or requirements
- use computer programming language
- prepare cost estimates
- follow data security procedures
- adjust computer operation system
- follow data storage procedures
- provide technical support to computer users
- establish and maintain relationships with team members
- use structural analysis techniques to analyze computer systems
- understand computer equipment operating manuals
- confer with personnel to discuss security violations or programming
- use computer networking technology
- use word processing or desktop publishing software
- prepare instruction manuals
- use object-oriented computer programming techniques
- design data security systems
- provide technical computer training
- write computer software, programs, or code
- use relational database software
- communicate technical information
|You have been inactive for 3 minutes. Are you still looking at this occupation?
Clicking 'Yes' will keep you on the this page. Clicking 'No' will take you back to the DWD O*NET Work Graphics home page.
(DWD Work Graphics v3.1 Copyright ©2006 State of Indiana)